An exciting time in your student’s life
We are here for you. Our high-touch approach to student success includes a nurturing community and complete support from recruitment to graduation and beyond. These resources will help your family make informed decisions as you make plans for your student’s next steps.
Q: Is SMU a smart investment?
A: The knowledge and skills acquired by your student during their personalized SMU education experience will produce benefits for a lifetime, which is why higher education remains a strong investment. And your student will join a global Mustang network that can help them launch or grow a career. We provide many resources to make an SMU education more affordable for all students.
All applicants are considered for a range of merit-based scholarships.* Students can combine merit-based scholarships with academic scholarships.
*SMU is fully test-optional! High school students can apply for admission and automatically be considered for scholarships without having to submit SAT or ACT scores.
- 70% of first-year students are awarded scholarships and grants.
- $164 million-plus in scholarships and/or grants awarded to undergraduate students in 2022.
- 75% of SMU students graduate without debt.
- SMU ranked among the top 30 colleges in the U.S. that give merit aid to the largest percentage of first-year students, according to Road2College.com.
Apply for federal student aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and SMU-funded institutional awards through the CSS Profile™. Students who are Texas residents but not U.S. citizens may be eligible for state aid and are encouraged to complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA): collegeforalltexans.com. Submit your completed TASFA application to email@example.com.
Visit hemund.com/financialaid to learn more about scholarships and financial aid.
Q: What return on investment can I expect?
A: Future leaders and change makers choose SMU for its academic rigor in preparation for demanding professions. Our powerful connections in Dallas translate to real-world, hands-on learning through internships and research projects. Students graduate with multiple competencies prepared for jobs that don’t yet exist. As Dallas’ premier university, SMU has earned a reputation for supplying top talent to various companies in the Dallas area and beyond.
- PayScale ranks SMU among the top 20% of Best Value Colleges.
- SMU is in the top 20% of schools nationwide in Forbes’ America’s Top Colleges 2022 ranking.
- College Factual named SMU a Best Education Bachelor’s Degree School.
- 90% of SMU graduates have jobs or are in graduate school six months after graduation.
- 94% of Cox BBA graduates are off the job market within three months of graduation at a starting salary of $76.7K per year.
- 90% of applied physiology and sport management graduates enter jobs or graduate school after graduation.
- SMU ranks among the top 30 universities in the world for alumni employment, according to the Center for World University Rankings (2023).
- College Factual counts SMU alumni among the highest-paid graduates across a range of fields, including the physical and social sciences; computer and information sciences; the humanities; communication studies; fine and studio arts; the visual and performing arts; and business, management and marketing.
Q: How will my student be cared for while at school?
A: Our nurturing community cares about your student as a whole person. Excellent wellness and health resources that are easily accessible to all students help keep them on the path to personal, academic and professional well-being.
- The Dr. Bob Smith Health Center provides comprehensive medical care to all SMU students, whether they want to get a sore throat checked out or talk to someone about something on their mind.
- The Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports features the latest fitness and health equipment and classes, with a variety of options for staying fit and reducing stress.
- SMU Dining Services offers myriad food options from all-you-care-to-eat dining halls to fast fare to grab-and-go meals – all of which accommodate most students’ dietary needs and preferences.
- SMU’s tree-lined campus is located in the residential neighborhood of University Park near the heart of Dallas. This family-friendly community has amenities to cover your student’s basic needs and more. And in Dallas, your student can get away to explore outstanding arts and cultural facilities, bike-friendly recreation spaces and great food.
- SMU Police Department, our own on-campus 24-hour police force, works closely with the police departments of Dallas, University Park and Highland Park to foster campus security.
- Our vibrant, welcoming community works hard to create, sustain and celebrate a rich diversity of ideas, backgrounds and identities. We are one campus with many voices – Mustangs are of all races, ethnicities and religions, and they come from around the world.
Q: What resources are available to help my student be successful at school?
A: Everything we do centers on helping your student succeed in and out of the classroom, which is why we provide tools to help them to take advantage of the resources and benefits SMU offers so they can get the most from their college experience. SMU encourages students to stretch themselves academically and personally and infuses the appropriate support to help them succeed at every level of the undergraduate curriculum.
- The Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center provides free tutoring and learning support services to all undergraduate students.
- Faculty in Residence live in the Residential Commons to provide academic support and programming in SMU’s residential communities.
- Academic advisors work with students to develop individual degree plans that are driven by each student’s unique educational interests and goals.
- The Hegi Family Career Development Center assists students with career counseling and connects them with top employers for pursuing internships or landing a job.
- The International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office helps international students adjust to college life at SMU and in Dallas. Find instant friends and helpful support, and participate in Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a leadership development program, a mentorship program, fun social events and small trips throughout Dallas-Fort Worth.
- SMU is home to eight libraries that support academic, creative and research pursuits. With its Starbucks coffee shop, big-screen TVs and comfortable seating, the Fondren Library Center Collaborative Commons is a magnet for students.
Q: How can I share in my student’s college experience while also supporting their new independence?
A: You’ve done a great job helping your student come this far – they couldn’t have done it without you. We welcome and encourage you to become involved with our community!
- SMU’s Parent and Family Programs office considers you a valuable partner in your student’s success.
- Once your child becomes a college student, we recommend seeing how they’re doing by attending Family Weekend in the fall and Founders’ Day Weekend in the spring.
- The SMU Mothers’ and Dads’ Club will help you stay connected to all-university events.
- The SMU Police Department posts reported campus criminal activity on its website.
Connect with the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission!
Ask your SMU admission counselor anything about SMU, the college search and admission process, or the city of Dallas.
- Visit SMU in person or virtually! We know you will love our beautiful 234-acre tree-lined campus.
- Prospective students can learn more about the Hilltop by attending one of our admission events. Admitted students will be emailed information regarding admitted student events.
SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission
Laura Lee Blanton Building
6185 Airline Road, 2nd Floor
Dallas Texas 75275
SMU Undergraduate Admission
PO Box 750181
Dallas TX 75275
Phone: 214-768-2058 or 1-800-323-0672
Office Hours: 8:30 am–5 pm CST